The Anaheim Family YMCA recognizes that this has been a very difficult time for many. As we witness a universal call to action to address discrimination and justice, we stand in full support with the Black Lives Matter movement. Indeed, as reflected in our mission, we support any movement that endorses a society that is free from racism, discrimination, violence and systemic oppression. It is imperative that we assert ourselves and seek to be an even more effective community leader as an anti-racist, multi-cultural organization.
The injustices and inhumanity we have recently witnessed, examples of a long continuing narrative, remind us all of our responsibility to fight against racism, inequities, and disparities; to champion efforts that protect human dignity and appreciate our shared journey as friends, neighbors, and fellow citizens. As we embark on this journey, we do so with humility, fully cognizant that as a local and national institution, the Y must begin to address how to undo racism and discrimination, not just stand against it. We call on our entire community to join us as we create a better us.
- We believe all active and connected families make for active and connected communities.
- We believe in a holistic approach to promoting healthy spirit, mind and body
- We believe that in a diverse world, we are stronger when we are inclusive, and our doors are open to all
- We believe in protecting the physical and emotional safety of all youth
Our Core Values: Our core values unite us in the Y movement; we work to embed, model, and foster our core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility in everything we do. Moving Forward…
- We will demonstrate Caring by using our voice to start conversations, create change and help our communities heal.
- We will be Honest about systemic racism, and its role in keeping us apart.
- We will show each other Respect, by modeling diversity and inclusion, by understanding, and by working together.
- We will take Responsibility for creating and supporting reform, for speaking out against inequality, injustice and inaction.
To condemn racism and discrimination in all its forms, and stand for diversity and inclusion as we advance our mission to build community through people, partnerships and pride.
Our Action: Stop, Listen, Reflect and Act
- Conduct staff surveys and focus groups
- Conduct resident surveys and focus groups
- Compile and analyze results
- Share findings with stakeholders and staff
- Take action!
We are committed to honoring our mission, living our cause, acting in accordance with our values, and placing the greater good above self. We know that in a diverse world, we are stronger together. We can do better and we will do better, together.