Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply to be a volunteer?
- All potential volunteers will register online, then complete the screening process and volunteer orientation. There may be training specific to different departments as well.
- Does the YMCA offer training?
- We are excited about engaging volunteers in the YMCA. We ensure our volunteers have the tools and training to make an impact, as well as a safe and nurturing setting. After a volunteer has completed orientation and made a commitment to the Y, a staff member will discuss training opportunities that match the interest of the volunteer and meet the needs of the YMCA.
- Does the Y accept court-ordered community service?
- Because of the absolute need to ensure child safety, the Anaheim Family YMCA does not accept any court ordered community service. The Y does allow school-based required community service in alignment with opportunities and policies in the requirements section.
- What are the age requirements to be a volunteer?
- With a focus on youth leadership, individuals can volunteer at the YMCA starting at 14. Parental consent will be required for all volunteers under the age of 18.
- Can I earn service or education credits for school?
- The YMCA has various opportunities throughout the year, as well as several special events, where teens can volunteer to earn credit toward their community service requirements.
- What are the time commitments for volunteering?
- Many of the Anaheim Family YMCA’s volunteer opportunities offer flexible positions and only require one hour per week. Whether you want to help out occasionally or on an ongoing basis, we can work together to find a role that meets your availability and schedule.
- Is there a dress code for volunteering?
- All volunteers will be asked to maintain a professional image at all times while volunteering with the YMCA. Depending on the role of the volunteer, a YMCA uniform may be required and/or provided, and all volunteers will receive a YMCA volunteer badge to be worn at all times during service.
- Why should I volunteer?
- The Y is one of the nation’s leading non-profits, committed to strengthening communities in the areas of youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. It is our hope to engage more people in greater Anaheim and make an impact in their community.